- Born in 1963 in the Netherlands, Marcel Wanders became well known during the 90’s among the famous group of designers Droog Design, mostly due to his chair, Knotte made out of a metallic knit.
In order to remain independent vis-a-vis of the fabricants, Marcel founded his own editing house in 2001: Moooi which means “beautiful” in Dutch. Wanders’ style is explosive and inimitable: he doesn’t hesitate to stand out of the often “refined” and aesthetic fields of design as he offers “shifted”, unclassifiable and poetic creations.
Marcel Wanders’ creations are part of a few museums’ collections such as New York’s MOMA, Amstedam’s Stedelijk Museum and London’s V & A Museum.
- Knotted Chair (1996), Droog Design and Cappellini
- V.I.P. Chair (2000), Moooi
- Zeppelin lamp inspired by Achille Castiglioni’s lamp, Taraxacum , Flos
- Jardin d’Eden cutlery (2010), Christofle
- Stone stool (2007), kartell
- Suspension Skygarden (2007), Flos
- Monster armchair (2001), Moooi
- Ground lamp:Set up shade (1989), Moooi
- Carbon Chair (2004), Moooi
His work is omnipresent, conception for grand international societies such as Flos, Alessi, Puma, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, MAC Cosmetics, Cappellini, B & B Italia, Moroso and Target. Wanders also creates conceptions for architectural projects such as the Kameha Grand hôtel in Bonn, the Mondrian South Beach Hotel in Miami, the Vila Moda boutique in the Bahrain and the latest one: the superb Andaz Hotel (Hyatt group) in Amsterdam. In addition to managing his own studio, Wanders is the co-founder and artistic director of the accomplished conception label.